Monday, May 26, 2008

Shawnigan Lake Triathlon

This past weekend was the 2nd annual Shawnigan Lake Triathlon. It was great seeing so many familiar faces again after being away for so long. It was easy to get wrapped up in the excitement and anticipation of the race during the set up and kids race. As a bonus, it was great catching up with some old friends and training buddies.
Sunday morning, bright and early, Kent and I head up to Shawnigan Lake. I keep forgetting how beautiful it is up island. All it takes is 30 minutes on the highway, and you've made it to paradise. Driving along the Malahat, Kent and I couldn't take our eyes off the most beautiful sunrise I've ever seen; the sun inching it's way higher and higher through the mountains, reflecting off the lake. A done deal - I have to go out there more often this summer.
The race started at 7:40am. Arriving with Kenton at the start area at 6am, I got all my things organized in transition, and got my body marking done.
The water at Shawnigan Lake was freezing!!! I spent a lot of time debating weather or not I should use Lindsay's neo-prem cap with a chin strap; I chose nay figuring it was only 500m. About 50m out, I was kicking myself for my decision.
This was my first swim with a wetsuit in 8 months. Coming out of the water I felt pretty good; my removal of my wetsuit went a lot better than expected.
The bike course was absolutely beautiful - circling around Shawnigan Lake for the first time, I was amazed. It was a steady push, and a couple decent upills, at the end of the loop, I definitely wasn't jealous of Lindsay doing 4 of them.
Going back into transition, I felt strong. My legs weren't cramping, and I was keeping a decent pace and directing my bike farely well. Then I get to my spot on the bike rack. I get flustered, I have a hard time undo-ing my cycling shoes, and transferring my orthotics. I got majorly discouraged. Heading out for the run, I hear Kenton cheering me on, which gives me back some motivation. The run course is unbelievable. The whole way to the turn around, I am scoping everyone out, making sure they're not Melinda, Lindsay's Mom, who's racing with me. As I see the turn around marker, I breathe a sigh of relief..... until I turn around and she is 10m behind me! Running scared for the next kilometre, I can hear her footsteps getting closer and quicker to me, until she's running beside me. She tells me to stay with her, and we ran together for 1.5 kilmeters, until we both explode at the 1km remaining marker - her going faster, me going slower. I cross the finish line 2 minutes after her.
Feeling really lethargic and heavy, I was a little bummed out about how I felt during the race. It was easily forgotten once you make your way around the race site and start chatting with friends. I was reveling in the positive energy that everyone was emitting. It was wonderful. All in all, it was a great race experience, great venue, great weather, great coordinators... I couldn't ask for anything more.

J

3 comments:

Paulie said...

Hey Jow,
Your posts always make me feel like I was there too! Something about the simple and sincere way you express emotion and appreciation for the natural beauty of your surroundings and your friendships.
Keep up the great work or else I'm gonna kick yo'ass!

Jamie Sparling said...

grapes?

jessica rae kirkwood said...

Great job on the race jowser!

I love your race report too.

Love Jess