Monday, March 2, 2009

Better Late Than Never

Before I start on my blog, I first want to recognize all the beauty around me and all the wonderful influences in my life. The city of Victoria, on Coast Salish territories is one of the most amazing places I've been. My friends and family provide me with enough love, support, motivation and inspiration to not only keep up with what I am doing, but appreciate every second of it. I am so blessed!

Now, on to my entry.

Lent. It's been on my mind the past week or so. Lent represents the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert, refraining from the temptations of the devil. This is a symbol of sacrifice and commitment, which ends on good friday and leads to his resurrection at Easter. Now, I know I'm a little late. I think the fear that my motivation and self-will most likely would fall 39 days short of that time period has been impeding my commitment. I think today, I finally found what I've been needing. It just struck me.

Over the past year, I've become less religious and more spiritual. Some might group the two together with the same definition. If you would have asked me a few years ago if there was any difference, I would have answered, 'slim to none'. Now, I hold a definition that has a vast separation between the two. I think this is partly due to my year-long Indigenous Studies class where, among many things, we analyze the influence of religion on the assimilation and integration of Canadian aboriginal peoples into white settler culture, and the demolishing effects of the Indigenous cultures. This has played a huge factor into my ideas and knowledge of religion, gods, and the meanings of life. I must say, I do feel an overwhelming sense of guilt concerning the first nations. I try to tuck those feelings away, deep inside of me. It doesn't work that well. Instead, I'm trying to use that energy for positive things. Appreciating this land, the people, and all the different cultures that make life as fabulous as it is. Increasing awareness is also high on my list. We've forced the Catholic/Anglican religion on the first nations tribes during the contact and throughout the post-contact years. This has been detrimental to the aboriginal peoples, and the ripple effect is showing throughout aboriginal communities now. There is part of me that aches with heartache and makes me want to disassociate with religion because of this.

I will however, always believe in a "god", a higher power, an ultimate being. I believe this is the same god that all religions believe in and pray to. Ironically, this would be the reason to my final commitment to Lent. In a religious sense, but more so in a spiritual sense. I know it's coming late, but for me, it is going to symbolize not only suffering and sacrifice but motivation, determination and love.

As I was leaving class today, walking along campus grounds, I passed by a drumming circle, and a native singing. I stopped. I listened. I smiled. The sun was shining and I felt amazing! Seriously, can it get any better!?!? What a wonderful celebration, a wonderful culture, wonderful people!

Long ago, I had a "thankful" journal, writing at least 5 things I was thankful for that day. I'm resurrecting that. I'm hoping to reignite my appreciation for the little things, and living my life spreading as much love and positive energy that I can!

How are you celebrating Lent? Better yet, how are you celebrating life?

J

3 comments:

Paulie said...

Hey Princess, I thoroughly enjoy all your posts. This one resonated greatly with me. Lent is an important time, not just as a period of sacrifice for religious reasons but as a time for generosity to others and self-giving for spiritual benefits, internal and external. Like you, I've felt some guilt at not setting specific and constructive lenten objectives, for reasons I don't really understand. However, having read your post and being inspired by your comments, I hereby do solemnly swear, from now until Easter, I will be as daring, as caring and as sharing as I possibly can to myself, my family, my friends, my community and Mother Earth. Easter is April 12th, and counting today, that's only 42 days, or 6 weeks away. A virtual blink of the eye in an average person's lifespan. So, thanks for the inspiration and keep up the great work with everything you're doing. mmmaaaaahhhhhhh!....Dad

jessica rae kirkwood said...

i celebrated lent caving into the devil's box of chocolate pretzels, seriously i sat here and ate more than half of it. Today was my get fit day, and it didn't work thanks to Jow aka Satan.

OK lent starts tomorrow. Thanks for the devilish delights, but next time just send the card!!!!!

Love :)

Heather Hollman said...

Jenny!!
Your blog totally rocks! Makes me laugh so hard :)

I am going to have to agree that the post-race/workout *high* and training with fabulous-gorgeous-motivating people are two of the main reasons why I love tri too!!

I'm glad the race went well for you :) Hopefully someday soon I will have the courage to join you in the Olympic distance.

Have a great weekend!

Keep it real