Saturday, April 19, 2008

Cheers

Yesterday, Marcelo's dad, Ivo, took Jess, Carolyn, Marcelo and I, out sailing into the Pacific. We were on the water for a few hours on a boat named "Cheers". Ivo was definitely in his element, teaching us all the basics of sailing; the names of the different pieces, how and when to use them, etc.. Going sailing with the Hanza's was one of the highlights of my trip to Hawaii. Even though I've been here for a little over 4 weeks, it seems as though I'm unable to grasp the idea of actually being in Hawaii. I find myself narrating my own actions in my head, "You're sailing in the Pacific ocean, off the coast of Hawaii right now!" and "You are riding your bike up a Volcano", etc.. I wonder if it will ever fully sink in. This is such a beautiful place, I am trying really hard to absorb it all and appreciate how blessed I am to be here!






Today, The girls and I hit up the Pahoa pool for a swim workout in the morning. Pahoa is a neighboring town to Hilo, and resembles the characteristics of a developing country. A town that is 'off the beaten path', but I love it all the same. The pool is a fabulous facility and I still can't comprehend how they make them free. They are definitely a step ahead of Canada in this department. Here's a picture of me goofing off after the workout:


This afternoon, We drove to the top of the Volcano. When we were there, Carolyn and I went for a little jaunt, and ended up on a trail that ran 2 feet from the edge of the Volcano crater. It was a phenomenal site to say the least! We kept stopping every 5 minutes to take a peek off the edge, which for half of it, was NOT guarded by railings. Afterwards, we all met up and went to the Lava tubes. I think I might have found Greg's place.



All in all, the last couple days have been fabulous, especially with the news of Paulie recovering so well.... Pound it, Paulie!

Tomorrow, Carolyn flies back home to Victoria, which I hear got hit by 6cm of snow this morning.

Ending today with a glass of wine, I can't think of a better way to celebrate a fantastic trip.

Keep Dreaming,

J

3 comments:

Tom said...

Jenny, another great post. Talk about a luxurious experience on the high seas! Sailing can be relaxing, challenging and spiritual for some while for others it's just an opportunity to do something different and to enjoy the freedom of letting the wind and waves take you wherever you want to go. I'm in the latter category but I can understand how the hard core sailors find the water so addictive. Glad you've had another wonderful experience and thanks for sharing it....I could feel the salty ocean breeze passing through the 51 staples in my skull and hear them making a hissing sound as they rushed by.....ahhh..feels good....life is good....keep on living the dream.......Paulie.

Tom said...

Miraculous Superflerous story of life and wonder. You could be an author and could make the best sellers list for stories about life and wonder and wonderful life. I could taste the salty sea air and feel the wind blow over my bald head as I read your miraculous story.

P.S. Why is Paulie posting under my name?

jessica rae kirkwood said...

OK those two posts back to back made me laugh soooooooooo hard. Thank you, I needed that.