Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Epic Proportions

Since I've been in Hawaii, I've been climbing on the bike more than I ever have! This past weekend, I competed in the Lavaman triathlon - the longest triathlon I've ever raced! It was amazing. I had my best swim, and I felt great through the bike, too. My goals were to go strong on the swim and bike, and dealing with my knee injury, my run could go to shit - as long as the rest was a good effort - and it was! I was so happy with my race... not to mention all my friends had amazing races, too. Good day, all around.

Lindsay and I, pre-race, setting up in the transition..



Group shot during awards ceremonies...


And some post race relaxation at the pool!!....


Today was the first day of the Lavacamp. We started out doing the epic ride up Koloko. The climb was so steep I had to weave back and forth along the road to make it up. From previous years of the camp, some riders have even fallen off their bikes because you can't climb in a straight line. With 4.5 hours of riding, this makes the longest ride I've ever done. Needless to say, I was spent at the end of it. Here are some of the highlights of the day..



And my favourite picture of the day...

Special thanks to Jess for the company... I'm looking forward to the next days of the training camp....

Keep Dreaming,

JS

3 comments:

jessica rae kirkwood said...

I love that photo of you and Linds... you both look so gorgeous.

Let me know your plans ok. Have a great time in Kona/Waikoloa. I can tell you are so happy, you were glowing at the race!!

Love you

Tom said...

Northwave mountain bike shoes represent!! Those shoes are so comfy.

Good job on slaying that climb! When you get back I will take you over the Malahat.

Tom said...

You need to update your blog. You are getting un-deserved shiny stat points from everyone in Salmon Arm.

P.S. I shaved my head yesterday. Well not shaved, but just buzzed