Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Gordie Howe Hatrick


Hawaii has been absolutely amazing... gorgeous weather, phenominal riding, FREE pools and great company! It's hard to think that I've been away for two weeks already... it doesn't seem like I've been away that long... the homesickness is starting to fade away as I start to develop my new routine here. Lindsay arrived in Hilo yesterday, and it was SOOO nice to see her again, which seemed like forever (I guess it has been forever when you're used to seeing someone every day!). We picked her up from the bus stop, and then went down to the hot ponds for a dip, some sun tanning, and a little run.

For the last week or so, I've been feeling a lack of energy and really sluggish - I think due to the lack of sugar in my system. Yesterday, after a very stressful and mentally tiring day, I nearly had a meltdown. Dan, Jamie and Lindsay knew exactly what to do.... take me to MCD's for some ice milk. I outdid Dan's previous record, with a hatrick... Gordie Howe style; a McFluerry, a sundae, AND an ice cream cone... and ended with knocking myself out! Not only after that did I start feeling like myself again. Now that I have my binge out of my way, I think I've learned my lesson - everything in moderation... I mean, that's why I am in this crazy sport!

This morning, Janet Lindsay and I dropped Dan off at the airport, said our goodbyes and wished him a safe flight back to Victoria. Then, we hit the Hilo pool. An extremely cold pool, but a good workout none-the-less. On the way home, we also happened to hit up the Mauna Loa Chocolate factory for some samples and a factory tour. It was magical.


This afternoon, we're going to go for a bike ride and then drive to the lavafields to see the lava flowing into the ocean. The eruption of Kilauea has been continuous since January of 1983, and the cooled lava has added 600 acres (and counting) of land mass to the big island. On an exploration ride last week, I stumbled upon the lavafields, after riding approximately 3 kilometres in, I decided to turn around due to the rough road conditions. It's about 4 -5 kilometres to the ocean from the closest parking lot.... so I'm excited to be making it down to the ocean side.

Tomorrow, Janet, Lindsay and I head to Kona. The Lavaman is coming up quickly and I'm having some mixed feelings about racing. I'm really looking forward to the race, but I'll be happy when this weekend is over!


And yet another picture of a gecko. I just love these guys. There are two kinds here: the aligator type - all brown and creepy looking (but still cool!), or the geiko type, pictured above, that will save you loads on car insurance.

Dan and Jamie left this morning, and I miss them already! I never thought I'd see the day that I miss their hating on everyone and everything.... not to mention, the Square of Power has been demolished. It's a sad day.


Now that the rain has cleared and the sun is coming out, it's off for our bike ride! Compliments to Mauna Loa for supplying me the energy for a good ride!


Keep Dreaming,


JS

1 comment:

Tom said...

Geico totally did their market research. Everyone loves geckos, and everyone loves Australian accents. Put them together and people will phone you to buy anything.

There are so many good combos like that too...

PB & J
Ice milk and Smarties
Simon and Garfunkel

The awesomeness just gets multiplied