Thursday, March 20, 2008

Adventure Crew

I arrived at the Hilo International Airport this morning at 6 am. After flying to Honolulu on Wednesday night, and staying at the Honolulu airport, I'm feeling great about getting settled at Jess'. Today has seemed like the longest day I've ever had, probably due to the fact that I had approximately 40 minutes combined sleeping at the Hono Airport, combined with lots of activity. Here's a pic of my bed for the night in Honolulu. Don't let the picture fool you, it was much more comfortable than it looks.

Wrapping up my first day in Hawaii, I'm quite impressed with myself for accomplishing so much in one day. Jess had a morning class for an hour at 8 am, so we hit up the local starbucks, pick up a box of milk chocolate covered toffee macademia nuts (delish!) and then headed to campus. While Jess was in class, I was out and about walking around the university of Hawaii, in complete awe - I'm dealing with sensory overload, my mind can only take in so much in a day and I'm still not fully comprehending the fact that I am in Hawaii... this is not reality yet.

Jess and I also went for a 3 hour bike ride today. I can't even begin to try to put it into words. It was hard to concentrate on training, pushing myself, cadence, and even traffic on the road when you're constantly being distracted with such a gorgeous surrounding. The ocean side here is unbelievable. We rode by it, and I was captivated by the enormous swells and the splashes against the rocks. This place is unlike anything I've ever seen, although this feeling of astonishment and amazement reminds me when I first came to Victoria.

After our ride, Jess and I went for a little jaunt down her street. It's a gravel road, so it forces you to go slow, which in my case is not a bad thing because I am trying to nurse my knee back to perfect health. This run wasn't anything over the top, just a 15 minute out-and-back peregrination. My knee started to aggravate me, but hopefully I can work through it and that it's going to be in runnable condition for Lavaman on the 6th.

It has been great to see Dan and Jamie again. They've been in Hawaii since the beginning of February. Those two boys are looking darker than Denzel Washington. They're taking their training quite seriously, and it shows! I can't believe the amount of training they do in a day, but what's more impressive than that, is the amount of time they spend updating their blogs, comparing each others shiny stats, and other miscellaneous things on the interwebs. These next couple weeks are going to be great though.

Tomorrow it looks like we are going to take a swim in the ocean and then hit up Dangerousway for some grocery shopping. It also seems as though I'm booked up for the next couple nights for movie nights, dance parties, aboriginal Australian tribal band night, ECSTATIC dance on Sunday (which I've been looking forward too since I've heard about it when Jess moved here in October!) This sounds so exciting, and I am really looking forward to encompassing a new lifestyle and learning more about Hawaiian culture.

Stay tuned for the future adventures of adventuresaurus! I promise I will upload some better pictures soon.

Keep the dreams alive,

JS

3 comments:

Jamie Sparling said...

Bam Jskin. Stoked on having you keep it real with us.

I'll probably give you an H5 soon.

KIR.

JS

Tom said...

What's 'KIR' mean? Is that internet abreviation like ttyl or byob?

And Jow, good to see you are representing the family name and starting a blog. It's one thing to DO cool stuff, but when you show people you're doing cool stuff you take it to a whole new level.

jessica rae kirkwood said...

KEEP IT REAL.
Come on now Thomas...
You are a Skinner... aren't you?
I'm pretty sure even Paulie would have known that. Just like he knows what 'PI' means.
Can I pound to that?